Wednesday 20 October 2010

Team 'Frobi' Expands

I write with exciting news.

The charity cycling challenge to Dublin and back has a new team member. Someone who has checked the route out, seen how many long, painful climbs there are, considered the possibilities of getting soaked in June downpours, calculated the effort required to cycle all that way and the likelihood of saddlesores, numb man bits, exhaustion and even of throwing up at the top of a steep ascent....and still decided it sounds like an excellent idea!!!!

Welcome on board Dr. Oliver Groß.

Oliver has been a student at Kingsway English Centre where I teach on three occasions. He has excellent English, is a mad keen sportsman and regularly runs and cycles. He is a fit, lean cycling machine and he has kindly agreed to join me on my cycle ride for SCOPE. Oliver, I hope you know what you are letting yourself in for!!!!
I am thankful that there are no major football tournaments taking place next year as it would be doubly painful to cycle 650km in the company of an über Fußball mad supporter and as you have probably guessed by now, a good friend from Germany; especially as England would be fated to meet Germany in the quarter finals again and either be totally outplayed (as in the World Cup this year), or play the best game of their lives, concede an unlucky equaliser 2 minutes from full time and go on to lose 5-4 on penalties.
Yes, Germany. Some of you reading this may be looking forward to a Tony vs Oliver, England vs Germany...who will finish the route in the quickest time, who will get to the top of the climbs first etc battle. I can assure you that the answer would be 'ein - null für Deutschland'. So, for that reason, I will continue to pedal methodically, rhythmically, slowly in the direction of our daily destination. (I won't tell Oliver that the plan is for me to sit on his wheel, conserving as much energy as possible until the last 500m of the day and then outsprint him in a lightening quick acceleration for the line).
I am extremely happy to have Oilver on board for this challenge. I enjoy cycling alone, but the distance and the terrain on the route is both daunting and very tough. The physical side of cycling is one of endurance and effort. However, as long as you have enough calories and keep yourself hydrated with a good level of fitness you can achieve great distances, climb many thousands of metres (though with the get out clause of 'er, this is a bit steep, I'd better get off and push for a bit').
It is the mental challenge, the demons and doubts that creep in. As soon as you set off the mind starts its little games.."Bloody hell, how far are you going to cycle...really?! You must be out of your mind...that's soooo far. Did you see that road sign....Hereford 26 miles, that's not even a quarter of the distance....why don't you go home for a cup of tea?"
But, to have someone else accompanying you will help stave off the negative thoughts and makes the miles go by that bit faster. It won't hurt any less, but at least there will be someone else who I can look at at the end of the day and have that shared understanding of 'geez, that was tough, that hurt'.....and indeed someone to egg you on, someone to encourage you when they have been waiting 10 minutes at the top of a particularly steep climb for you to wearily push the bike to the top.
So, the cycle trip now numbers three. Myself, Simon Whitton (team driver, masseur (he doesn't know that yet), caterer, tea maker, motivator and bath runner) and Oliver. I am still hoping to get my good friend Chris Lynam on board for the trip as co-driver.

Now my attention turns to a few outstanding issues;

  1. Get a road bike (it's Christmas soon...come on Santa, I've been a good boy)
  2. Lose a stone in weight. I am not overweight, but I would like to go from 12.5 stones to under 12, ideally 11.5 stones
  3. Join a gym. I have time now and would like to use a gym to build aerobic fitness (when the weather is cold, wet and horrible and you don't feel like a run or a cycle ride). I also need to build more muscle strength and tone to deal with the rigours of the route
  4. Invest in some top of the range cycling shorts...we're talking £50 - £100. I don't want to be 5 miles into the ride and my old friend Mr Saddle Sore starts reacquainting himself.
  5. Map the route accurately and plan camp sites / B&B's
  6. Book ferries from Pembroke Dock - Rosslare and Dublin - Holyhead
  7. Continue to raise money towards the £4,000 target
  8. Shave my legs
  9. Learn a few choice words in German; "Oh for f**ks sake, not another bl**dy hill...b*ll*cks!" and "How much further is it Oliver?"
  10. Get out and ride, run, swim....improve fitness and give up biscuits (again)

Fundraising is going well at the moment and I am up to 31% of the target reached (£1,230 out of £4,000 target). If you can help me by donating, I would be extremely grateful. Any amount big or small will make a huge difference to people living with disabilities; in particular, cerebral palsy.

http://www.justgiving.com/tonyseverestchallenge

Until next time,

Auf Wiedersehen,

Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment