Tuesday 30 March 2010

Climbing hills for those that can't.


My last post detailed my training ride on Sunday when I climbed up the Malverns, a total of 701 metres ascending, straining to turn the pedals against the slope and the pull of gravity.

Why?

People ask me why I do these challenges and where I find the energy and time to train, when every night is a night of broken sleep, every day is hard work dealing with the demands of twins, each of whom have their own difficulties and disabilities.


The reason is simple.


George Leigh Mallory was asked why he wished to climb Everest in 1924...'Because it's there' he replied.

Why do I do these challenges, cycling and running from Worcester to Liverpool and back, climbing Kilimanjaro and now cycling to London and back?


Because I can.


I have been blessed with an ability that many do not have. I can walk, I can run, I can cycle, feed and dress myself, tell someone how I feel, ask for things, communicate my needs and enjoy a full life, free of physical and mental limitations.


Milla is unable to do these things. Thousands of others live with cerebral palsy to varying degrees. All of them need help and support - some to be able to lead an independent life, some to to do the most basic everyday things. Feeding, dressing, going to the toilet, getting around.


I'm lucky to have my health and to be physically fit. I'm am lucky to be in a position to undertake these challenges and to try to raise money to support Scope to help people living with cerebral palsy.


I will be setting off for London at 6:30 on Saturday 24th April and coming back on Monday 26th April.
I would love to raise more money for Scope through donations to my web page. If you can help with any donation I will be very grateful.

Thank you.


Tony.


You can donate online at;

www.justgiving.com/tonyfrobisher2

No comments:

Post a Comment