Wednesday 24 March 2010

The Perils of Pillocks in Cars


Ah, he's only on a bicycle, he can't be going that fast, I'll just nip across the junction ahead of him.....phew! that was close, I nearly took him out, didn't think you could be so fast on a bike....

Instant idiot, just add motor car / bus / lorry / white van.
Honestly, the way people drive, with scant regard for the humble cyclist is nothing short of criminal...and in many cases probably is criminal.

Why is it car drivers ALWAYS assume they are going to be faster than some Lycra-clad, behelmeted cyclists?


It is not difficult to keep up with traffic in urban areas, it is relatively easy to pedal along at 20mph on the flat and touch 30mph on a short descent.

But, no, the motor car driver, cocooned in his or her metal box reckons that they can always nip in front, have enough room to get past - especially at traffic calming zones - and can always turn left in front of a cyclist in time.


A few months ago while cycling to work I was knocked off my bike in such a fashion. I was doing 20+mph on a slight downhill, approaching a junction when one of Worcester's finest prize dick-for-brains in a standard, 'I'm-a-Muppet' van decided he had enough time, speed, room etc to overtake me and turn left. He didn't and I ended up crashing into the side of the van and falling in a heap on the road.

I was unhurt, a bit shaken up, and more than a bit annoyed. The aforementioned amoeba got out of his van and looking at me on the road offered his apologies and concern in the most appropriate way he knew how.

He smiled the widest of grins, stuck a 'thumbs up' in my direction and said 'Alright????'.


My retort, measured in its choice of words, was 'Yes, I'm alright, you're lucky that I am, you didn't see me then as you overtook me? Alright?! Don't you think sorry is a good word in this situation?!'


The missing link mustered all his brain power and looked quizzically at me and said 'Oh, sorry....alright?!' (thumbs up gesture repeated).


I've had the odd 'near miss' as they call incidents involving aircraft passing within 1km of each other. Lorries, trucks, juggernauts...whatever you call them, they are not exactly quick off the mark. But the numpties that drive them always see a cyclist and a little light comes on in their cabin like heads 'Er, calculate, distance, speed = time, likelihood of accident...er, no, can't do maths, I'm only a truck driver...What the hell, I'm bigger than they are, I'll risk it.'


I end with an amusing footnote.

I enjoy the company of various singers, bands, groups, duos from the worlds of rock, metal, blues, pop, funk, reggae, classical, folk, indie, world, chill out etc etc through the wonderful medium of compressed music files (MP3 players...what did we do before their timely invention...I remember, I carted about 30 cassettes and a Sony Walkman overland from Hong Kong to Athens...play one side, change and turn over, put cassette back in box, select new cassette, start process again. Was this in medieval times? Nay Sir, twas back in 1996)...anyway I digress.

Kids...pay attention! I don't condone listening to an MP3 while cycling - I like a bit of Morrissey or Jamiroquai to keep the pedals turning. Of course, the volume is never so loud that I can't hear someone yell abuse as they drive by 'Get off the road, you *@"&!!!!!'.

I enjoy struggling up the hills with a good tune. It so happens that as I fell to the floor, having been knocked off by Mr. P Enis, my MP3 was still merrily playing away.
In my anger I had to suppress a laugh..oh the irony. I heard the magnificent, anthemic rock n roll of Australia's finest export (after Kylie and Jason).

Track No.1 AC/DC....Highway to Hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment