Thursday 18 March 2010

Cycling for charity - everyone's at it


Sport Relief. A brilliant idea.

Take well known personalities from the world of British TV and radio and set them an incredibly hard sporting challenge, in order to raise large amounts of money for charity projects in the UK and in some of the world's poorest countries.

I've just watched 6 celebrities cycle the length of Britain in a non-stop relay, taking 26 mile (40km) turns day and night for 4 days. Snow storms, killer climbs, night time temperatures of -15 C, severe lack of sleep and fatigue did not stop them completing the challenge and raising over £1,000,000 for charity projects under the Sport Relief banner.

This, for me, is where the BBC comes into its own - it has the power to motivate people to get behind charitable causes and to raise awareness of the plight of others. Everyone wants to see celebrities suffer, move far out of their comfort zone, but ultimately succeed. This year not only have there been challenges like the cycling challenge, but a BBC presenter, Christine Bleakley, became the first woman to water ski from the UK to France and a comedian, Eddie Izzard, ran around Britain - 43 marathons in 51 days. Astonishing.

These feats of endurance, stamina, blood, guts and determination are hugely inspirational and motivating. My cycling challenge is drawing closer and seeing what the celebrities have done has spurred me on.

I had thought about skirting around a fairly large hill in the Cotswolds - Fish Hill, near Broadway. But after watching David Walliams struggle up Kirkstone Pass, the longest and steepest climb in the UK, in the freezing cold of night I'd feel a bit of a fraud if I didn't give it a go.

Well done the cycling celebrities....I have your self same determination, though not quite the back up team of mechanics, medics and co-riders. I will have the redoubtable Simon Whitton
(pictured with me on my last cycling charity challenge in 2007) force feeding me Mars Bars and shouting at me from the warmth of a car to keep going.

IF you can still support me and donate, please do - and thank you.

www.justgiving.com/tonyfrobisher2

So come on Fish Hill, bring it on. I'm looking forward to making your acquaintance in April. Be gentle with me.

Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment