Sunday 21 March 2010

What a difference a bike makes


Today was a bright, sunny, warm, but windy day in Worcester.

On Friday, I had taken delivery of my new bike - a Trek 7.0 Hybrid bike, with lovely semi-slick tyres that make you go just that little bit faster than the chunky knobbly tyres I had plodded around on my old bike.

Trek is the brand of bike ridden by and endorsed by Lance Armstrong. Could I match his performance on my first ride. Considering he rides a bike that retails for around the £8,000 price range and mine was, let's be honest, nowhere near £8k, I doubted myself and Lance would be on an equal footing.

The route I chose was a nice 20 miles circuit to the wonderful riverside town of Upton-Upon-Severn. It's a nice route, with the Malverns Hills keeping you company all the way and plenty of short sharp climbs, together with Severn Stoke Hill - a lengthy, but not too steep drag.

Starting off the bike, the legs, the handling all felt good. A decent head of steam was generated and I was soon flying down the A38 into a headwind - the curse of all cyclists. But I still made Upton 10 minutes faster than I had done before.

20 miles in 1 hr 14 mins. OK, I'm not going to win the prologue of the Tour de France at that speed (average 16mph), but for my 41 year old legs, with severely broken sleep due to Milla being unwell and no lunch (my fault), it was a good effort.

First ride out and I loved the bike. 20 miles done, but London is 5.5 times that distance and there are more lumps and bumps between Worcester and London than on a ploughed field.

I've christened the bike 'The Hill Eater' - a bit of positive thinking, but it genuinely was smoother, more comfortable and faster in going up hill than my old bike. Happy days.

To end, a salutary warning to fellow cyclists. Lycra is comfortable, a nice chamois padding is a luxury you can ill afford to be without. But even a 20 mile ride needs a bit of lubricating. Forgot to put some Sudocrem on and realised I should have done. Lesson learnt. I don't want red raw, cracked walnuts and saddle sore the size of onions. Ordinary onions, I don't mean Graeme Onions, the England cricketer - that would be impressive - he is a big bloke.

Next training ride I shall be enjoying the pleasures of the Malverns.... a lovely switch back climb up the Wyche Cutting. Anyone care to join me?

See you soon.

Tony.

No comments:

Post a Comment