Wednesday 17 March 2010

Le Bicyclette Est Mort

Oh dear.

Just when I thought all my bike needed was a quick change of tyres and a new inner tube, I discover that my trusted Claude Butler Mercury is in serious mechanical trouble.


Bottom bracket gone, chain set in need of replacement, rear wheel rim badly damaged, gear cables need replacing and so on and so on.....

The long and short of it is that the bike can be fixed - but at a cost...we're talking £280 plus or minus the odd quid here and there. So, with that in mind, a more appealing solution presents itself.

A new bicycle.

For the same price as the repair I can get myself a nice new bike, with all the things I need - semi-slick tyres for fast road riding, light frame to compensate for my 41 year old frame, lifetime guarantee.

If anyone wants to sponsor me and pay for the bike, I'll get your photo, company, logo, whatever emblazoned on my challenge t-shirts!. I'd even get your face tatooed across my bottom and ride naked to London so that the following motorists get a good look at my benevolent sponsors as I struggle up the Cotswolds and Chiltern Hills.

So, new bike it is. Take the plunge and do it. Put it this way, if I don't invest in a bike, I'm not running all the way there and back.

Tony.



No comments:

Post a Comment